How can violin influence my teaching?

Posted in: edci306a, EdTech, Free Inquiry | 0

Although playing the violin might not seem to be a very useful instrument for an elementary school teacher, I know that the skills I am developing can translate into my teaching practice. For example, patience is a very important part of learning how to play a musical instrument and is incredibly important when teaching a class of 30 rambunctious students. I can also use my (limited) violin skills to bring a treat in for my class which can encourage other students to explore their own music skills. Violin can also be a good segue to teach my students about different music in different cultures by having different examples and demonstrations to make those concepts concrete for them.

When a student is given the space to develop their musical skills they can explore creative ways to express themselves and their ideas. Music also has many benefits that can span competencies across all subjects. (If you would like to read more you can read my research paper on the Benefits of MusicEd ) Violin comes with its own challenges which includes fine motor skills, music literacy, and opposing movement coordination.

This video is from a blog by Laurie Niles who teaches Suzuki Violin techniques to young students in the USA. Her website is an amazing resource for those who are interested in learning about the positive impacts of teaching violin to children.

Featured Image by Element5 Digital on Unsplash