Virtual and Augmented Reality

What is Augmented Reality?

Augmented Reality is the use of technology to superimpose an image seen through a camera which provides a composite view of the user’s reality. This can be used in the classroom to provide students with historic contexts about where they are and what they are learning in the classroom. I believe this can be a useful tool in the elementary classroom to provide students with context about the information they are learning in the classroom.

What is Virtual Reality?

Virtual Reality is a computer-generated simulation and through the use of special equipment (screen helmet and nun-chucks) the user can interact with their environment in a highly realistic manner. This is not something I could see myself bringing into my elementary classroom as it takes some technological skill and savvy that elementary students wouldn’t necessarily have.

Would I use it How would I use it??

As I mentioned I would be more likely to use Augmented Reality in my future classroom as a support for teaching Social Studies and Literacy. For Social Studies I would use it to provide contextual information so students can develop their understanding by making connections to the information. Literacy learning can be integrated with Augmented Reality in many ways, for younger learners signs with vocabulary words can be posted around the classroom and the image/video superimposed can be of the pronunciation or spelling of the word. For older students Literacy can be integrated as easily as having students write a report or reflection on their learning.

Featured Photo by Giu Vicente on Unsplash